11.02.2012

Slow Cooker Chili

recipe adapted from this

INGREDIENTS (fills a 7qt slow cooker)
3 raw chicken breasts
1 can cream of chicken
1 large (or 2 medium) yellow onion, chopped or sliced

~24oz smoked sausage, chopped
2 cans rotel with chiles
1 small can green chiles
1 (28oz) can baked beans w/ bacon (I have used store brand or "Bush's baked beans, country style flavor)
1 (30oz) can Brooks hot chili beans
2 (15oz) cans no bean chili
1 (15oz) can Hormel hot chili or similar (added after I took the photo of the cans)
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped

seasonings:
(note: I don't ever measure spices I just wing it & dump some in, esp cumin & pepper)
1T minced garlic
1T oregano
1/4c chili powder
2t cumin
1t basil
1t pepper, or white pepper is stronger
1t cayenne pepper
1t paprika
1t sugar
Worcestershire
if you want it spicier: hot sauce, and Sriracha to taste

shredded cheese (optional, to go with the chili) I also like to put cheezits in the chili :D

DIRECTIONS
Before you make chili, make shredded chicken by putting 3 chicken breasts, 1 can cream of chicken, the chopped onion in a small slow cooker on high for 2-4 hours (till it reaches at least 165°F). 
After the chicken is cooked, take it out of the slow cooker & shred it in a bowl. Strain out the onions from the cream of chicken goo as best you can, and mix the onions in with the shredded chicken.
This will be added into the chili at the end.
(I usually make the chicken the day before, or get the chicken started then start on the chili, then whenever the chicken is done I mix it in the chili).

In 7qt or larger slow cooker, combine all ingredients. Set on low for a couple hours, then set to warm mode until you eat it. Serve chili, top with shredded cheese.

NOTES
I added like half of the bell peppers, because it was a lot of chopped pepper. 
The chili got soupy, so I took the lid off for awhile and it thickened back up.
I kept tasting and adding more spices until it had enough of a kick, I probably used double what is listed above, especially cumin. Note if chili is too spicy, add pureed pineapple to it.
I served the chili in these bread bowls

more photos











^shredded chicken with the onion mixed back in