12.23.2013

Blueberry Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Interesting sandwich combo, found here

































INGREDIENTS: (for one sandwich)
2 slices of bread (I used Sara Lee or something white bread)
Havarti cheese (cut into pieces)
2 big spinach leaves
~ 1/2c blueberries (I used like half of a small carton)
about 1 T brown sugar
dash of Balsamic vinegar
egg whites
butter
(optional) cooked bacon, I didnt use bacon but next time I will

DIRECTIONS:
make blueberry paste:
Put cleaned blueberries in a small saucepan & heat over med-hi heat. Add in brown sugar & Basalmic vinegar.
Smash up the blueberries with a spoon and boil for a few minutes.
Strain out the blueberry juice (reserve it for other purposes if desired).
Assemble blueberry mixture, spinach, cheese, and bacon on bread.
Heat butter in a skillet.
Brush one side of sandwich with egg white and cook in skillet. Smash the sandwich down with something heavy (I used a small cast iron skillet).
Brush other side of sandwich with egg white, add more butter to skillet and cook.
Serve warm (I served with Campbells Home Style "Creamy Gouda Bisque w Chicken" soup)

more photos: