4.08.2015

Shepherd's Pie

my comrade Thomas made this recipe and it was great! I made a few changes to it (as did he) and it was badass. I made this instead of corned beef for St Pats this year
INGREDIENTS:
olive oil
butter
1 big yellow onion, sliced up
2lb meat (I used chopped stew beef)
1/3 c flour
salt/pepper
rosemary
paprika
minced garlic
other seasonings (I used garlic & herb seasoning, forgot what else..)
about 2.5 c beef broth
12-16oz fresh sliced mushrooms
around 12oz frozen peas/carrots

4 pouches of instant potatoes (I was lazy dont judge)
butter
cayenne pepper
1/4 c cream cheese spread (or similar)
8oz shredded cheddar
dash of cream (or milk, whatev)

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 375F.
Heat up a big skillet over med-hi heat. Throw some olive oil & butter into it.
Add in the sliced onion & maybe a little sugar. Cook it till onion is soft & smells like win.
Add in the beef. Continue cooking / stirring occasionally until the beef is browned on all sides.
Add in the flour & mix it all up.
Mix in some salt & pepper, and the seasonings & garlic.
Pour in the beef broth.
Add in the mushrooms, then the peas/carrots.
After that is all cooked down some, spread it in a big baking dish. (At this point I realized it wasn't going to fit in a 9x13" pan so I used the only bigger pan I had which was a roasting pan).
Now make the instant potatoes: boil however much water they call for.
After you mix the potato powder up add in some butter, cayenne, cream cheese, and some shredded cheese, & cream.
Spread the potato mixture over the meat/vegetable mixture.
Top with some more seasoning & butter if you want.
Bake for 25 - 30 min.

note: original recipe calls for lamb not beef, I didn't feel like going looking for lamb so I used "stew meat" aka cheap chopped meat from the groc store, which I cut into smaller pieces before I cooked it. You can use ground beef also or whatever meat hell you could use chicken if you want.
Also this made a pretty huge amount, you can cut this in half to fit in a 9x13" pan

more photos: