8.18.2014

Cheesy Scalloped Potato Bake

also view my recipe here
Super cheesy potatoes, as close as I could get to replicate the famous Jack Stack restaurant in KC
INGREDIENTS
8"x8" baking dish, greased
3-5 red potatoes, sliced thinly (I leave skin on)
1 c chopped broccoli (optional)
1/2 c heavy cream (or heavy whipping cream)
1 c whole milk
1/2 can cream of cheddar soup
1/2 pkg cream cheese
1 clove minced garlic (or garlic powder)
1/2 t kosher salt
1/2 t white pepper
1/8 t cayenne pepper
1/2 t Weber Garlic&Herb seasoning (or similar)
1 c shredded sharp cheddar
1/4 c parmesan
1 c shredded swiss (or 4 slices). Substitute gruyere if you have it!

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 450°F
Grease baking/caserole dish
In skillet over medium heat, combine milk, cream, cheddar soup, cream cheese, garlic, and spices.
Add sliced potatoes/broccoli and bring to a boil. Stir.
Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 8 min.
Layer the potatoes/broccoli with the various cheeses in the dish, top with parmesan.
Cover dish with foil, bake for 15-30min (depending on amount of potatoes).
Remove foil and continue to bake for an additional 10-20 min.

update: took me a little longer to bake the last time I made this. I also omitted broccoli due to laziness.
UPDATE:  I made a simplified version that I thought was great:
no milk, no broccoli, no cream cheese, I just used 1.5 c cream instead. Added in chives. Used provel instead of cheddar on top. Forgot to add in parm. Tasted great, was less work lol. (see bottom photos)

more photos:













Simplified version: