5.22.2013

White Chicken Chili

Recipe is a combo of this and this and this , my version also features sausage :D

































INGREDIENTS: (makes a big pot full)
16oz dry Great Northern beans
4 chicken breasts, cooked/shredded. (I cooked it the night before in a slow cooker, along with a can of cream of mushroom and a can of cheddar soup, along with poultry seasoning. ~4hrs on high).
1/2 stick butter
1 onion, (I minced in cuisinart)
4 heaping pinches of garlic
32oz low-sodium chicken broth
15oz can of white beans
1 (4.5oz) can chopped green chilis
24oz smoked sausage, chopped into small pieces (I used Aidells brand "garlic/gruyere, & "pineapple/bacon" flavors)
seasonings:
     cayenne
     cumin
     oregano
     chili powder
     white pepper
1 c whole milk
2 T cornmeal (or masa)
16oz shredded monterrey jack
16oz sour cream

DIRECTIONS:
Day before:
Cook the chicken beforehand to save time (I cooked in slow cooker, see above^) I put the whole chicken/soup mixture it was cooked in into the fridge, then shredded it the next day, microwaving it before dumping it all into the chili).
Soak the dry beans overnight in bowl of water.

Day of:
Drain the soaked beans.
In a bigass pot, cover beans with water (~ 1" above beans) and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about an hour, till they are soft.
Drain the beans and set aside. Wipe any bean residue crap out of the pot.
Add the 1/2 stick butter to the pot till it melts. Add in the minced onion and garlic. Let cook for a few min.
Add the beans back in.
Add the chicken broth in.
Add the green chilis in (whole can, undrained)
Add the shredded chicken & mixture it was cooked in in (I microwaved it for 2min first cuz I had it in the fridge from the day before).
Add the can of beans in.
Add the sausage in.
Add the seasonings in (to taste).
Let it all simmer on med heat for 15-20min, stir occasionally.
Combine milk and cornmeal, add to the chili.
Add in ~8oz shreded monterrry jack.
Turn heat to low, stir and serve when ready.

Served topped with shredded cheese, sour cream, and taquitos.

*note* I have made this using a chopped up rotisserie chicken breast instead of slow-cooking the chicken. I just added the cut-up rotisserie breast meat along with a can  cheddar soup & cream of mushroom to the chili pot. (see last 3 photos)

more photos:

first couple pics were just for my reference, that's why they look shitty. (I only used one of those bean cans and chili cans). The next pic is the slow cooker chicken I took out of the fridge (pre-shredded).