3.08.2014

Cheese-Stuffed Turkey Meatballs

Created this recipe using this and this as guidelines





































INGREDIENTS:  (makes 15-16 big meatballs)
2 lb ground turkey
italian-style bread crumbs (I eyeballed it, prob used a cup)
1 med onion, sliced thin & chopped (I used half a big onion)
minced garlic (big wad of it)
dried parsley (fresh would prob be better)
dash of salt/pepper
1 egg, beaten
grated parmesan (I prob used about a cup)

chunk mozzarella and/or cheddar (or whatever desired cheese), cut into cubes.
pasta sauce

DIRECTIONS:
Combine everything in a bowl (except the cubed cheese & pasta sauce).
Shape meatballs around each piece of cubed cheese. I used pretty big cubes & made large meatballs.
Place meatballs in slow cooker (I used a 7qt slow cooker). Pour some pasta sauce over them.
Cook ~8 hrs on low.
note: I made the meatballs the night before & put the slow cooker in the fridge overnight. About an hour before I left in the morning I put the slow cooker in the freezer (bc I was worried about it overcooking since I wouldn't be home till late). I set slow cooker on a timer for 8hrs and they turned out great!
If you cook them from room temp I would cook less than 8 hrs, just keep an eye on them.

I served over pasta with homemade alfredo
I have baked these, with pasta sauce poured over the meatballs instead of slow cooking, to save time.

I have also made these into meatball subs. I made garlic bread, sliced it in half, then put the meatballs & some pasta sauce on there with some sliced provel cheese. Then put under oven broiler for a minute

more photos: