5.26.2014

Smoked Beer Can Chicken

Used tips from my mom and from brinkmann website. I used an electric smoker, if you have a charcoal smoker etc then adapt this recipe as needed.

































INGREDIENTS:
whole chicken (I kinda cheated I used a 6lb marinated "roaster" chicken that had the guts/neck pre-removed)
can of beer (I used Busch)
rub (I used weber garlic & herb, poultry seasoning, and garlic salt).
wood chips (I used hickory)

DIRECTIONS:
Prep smoker according to smoker directions. Soak wood chips in advance.
Use can opener to cut top off of beer can, drink 1/3 of it. Add bunch of minced garlic into the remaining beer.
Rub seasonings onto the chicken.
Shove the beercan in the chicken ass (I used a beer can chicken holder thing).
Smoke for 6-7 hrs. Mine was 160F after 6hrs, I let it go a little longer.
Allow chicken to rest for a few min before eating. Also remove the beer can..
Eat or repurpose (I shredded it and made bbq quesadillas)

note: the seasoning on the skin tasted really good, but the skin was pretty chewy, I ended up peeling most of it off then shredded the chicken to make quesadillas with.  I'm not sure how to get the skin crispy using a smoker (I was cooking it for the meat anyway not the skin).


more photos:






































leftovers: "no disassemble!" lol