9.27.2013

Chicken Mushroom Wild Rice Soup

Used this recipe and this recipe as a basis

































INGREDIENTS: (I used 7qt slow cooker)
2 chicken breasts
1 can cream of mushroom soup
Italian seasoning

Few stalks of celery, chopped
1 onion, chopped
julienne carrots, big handful (can use chopped carrots instead)
16oz fresh sliced mushrooms
2cups wild rice (I think I used long grain brown & wild rice mixture or something, it was all I could find at the time).
(optional) 3oz real bacon bits
64oz low sodium chicken broth
dash of Champagne (or wine)
fresh parsley, chopped (dried works too)
minced garlic
curry powder (I use several dashes, it tastes awesome in this soup)

2c half & half
1/2 - 1c flour

DIRECTIONS:
Ahead of time: cook the chicken:
In slow cooker place the 2 raw chicken breasts, cover with can of cream of mushroom soup and seasonings.
Cook on high until chicken reaches 160F. (couple hours). Shred chicken with fork and set aside (or put in fridge) until you make the soup.
Make soup:
Combine everything (except for the half&half and flour) in the slow cooker.
Cook on low for 6-8 hours. While cooking, add in some additional water/chicken broth if needed. Stir in the half & half and flour prior to serving.

If a lot of liquid gets soaked up during cooking, add additional water/milk as needed.  I added water and milk the last time I made it, but it blanded out the flavor so I added in more curry powder, garlic powder, parsley, basil, and grated parmesan to add flavor back in.

more photos: