7.26.2012

Slow Cooker Gyros

also view my recipe here
INGREDIENTS

1 lb ground lamb
1/2 to 1 lb ground beef (substitute ckn or pork if desired)
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp pepper
1 onion
4 cloves garlic
lemon juice
other gyro ingredients (feta, tzatziki sauce, pita bread, onions, tomato, lettuce, etc.)

DIRECTIONS

Combine meats with the spices and blend in food processor. The point is to shape it all into a meatloaf-style "log" that will be placed into the slow cooker. (see additional photos)

Chop the onion and mince/chop the garlic and place it in the slow cooker. Set the meat "log" on top, and squeeze lemon juice over all of it. Cook on low 4hrs or high 2 hrs (or until fully cooked).

Slice the meat and create epic gyros!! I haven't tried making tzatziki sauce yet, and couldn't find in the store, so I used a yogurt based ranch dressing (found in produce section of my groc store) and it was a decent substitute :)

Now that I have found the perfect tortilla recipe, I highly recommend making tortillas instead of buying pitas from the store. The homemade tortillas don't crack, just roll them a little thicker and they are just like pita bread.

more photos: